Scope | Size | Marking | Classification | Subjects
The Laura Bailey Collection on Gender and Transgender consists of approximately 15,000 pieces: books, manuscripts, original photographs, posters, flyers, handbills, records, letters, programs and other ephemera. Much of the material goes back 100+ years, dating back to turn-of-the-century and earlier, and much of it is unique - very likely the only existing records of many performers and fringe, early figures in the world of transvestism and transsexualism. The collection was gathered by Laura Bailey who ran the Greenwich Avenue Book Shop in New York city for many years.
There are no size boundaries since this collection is going to LSF.
Marking and call tags/labels
The following guidelines are used when marking volumes for the Bailey Collection.
- Mark on Yale bookplate when there is one, generally in the upper left corner.
- Mark on verso of last page, lower right hand corner, when there is no Yale bookplate. The lower left hand corner is the alternate location when the lower right hand corner is unusable.
- If the last page is unmarkable (e.g. too dark or shiny or filled with text or illustrations), mark the verso of the first usable page from the end.
NOTE: Do not mark call number on original wrappers.
Do not print call tags since the collection is going to LSF.
Bailey is classed as a name collection and uses a sequential number.
|Monographs of all sizes||‡b beingen ‡h Bailey ‡i 8|
|Serials of all sizes||‡b beingen ‡h Bailey ‡i S1|
Special notes, subjects and tracings
- Make topical subject and genre headings as appropriate, including LGBTQ related subjects.
- Make appropriate copy specific local tracings for provenance. Always make an ex libris note for Laura Bailey. Make a local name tracing for ownership, if there is no physical evidence of ownership. Make the appropriate provenance tracing, if there is evidence of ownership.
- Make LGBTQ special tracing.
Example of book with no physical evidence of ownership:
|590||‡a BEIN Bailey 8: From the library of Laura Bailey.|
|692||1||4||‡a Bailey, Laura, E., ‡d 1951- ‡x Ownership|
Example of book with physical evidence of ownership:
|590||‡a BEIN Bailey 4: From the library of Laura Bailey. Presentation inscription to Laura Bailey from ?.|
|692||1||4||‡a Bailey, Laura, E., ‡d 1951- ‡x Presentation inscription from ?|